Monday, January 21, 2013

Using Macros in Excel 101


If you have downloaded my Evaluation Performance Graph, you have seen what I can do without macros (little programs within Excel that automate tasks).  I am almost done with my Student Data file, so soon you can see what I can do with macros.  I have used macros to simplify complex and tedious tasks in my personal files for years.  Macros can contain virus, so you need to be careful and make sure you trust your sources of .xlsm files. I promise my files do not have viruses. I would rather create useful programs instead of destructive ones.  I have password protected the programming to prevent others from adding a virus.
With that said, if you are still interested in using my .xlsm files, you will need to enable the macros.  In Excel 2010 this is usually easy; click on ‘Enable Content’ the first time you open the file and you are good to go. If this doesn't work your Trust Center Settings need to be changed. Comment below this post if you run into this problem and need help. I will explain further. 



In Excel 2007 things are more complicated.


You will need to click on this ‘Options’ button, select ‘Enable this Content’ and then click ‘ok’ every time you open the file or . . .


you can select ‘Open the Trust Center’, find  and select the 'Add new location button' 


then add the location of your file.  Note:  It is best not to have my file in main folder such as “My Documents” for this option. It is better to have it in another folder within “My Documents” like “rwslp”. Hopefully at least some of this makes sense. If anyone needs help with an older version of Excel let me know.  If your company/school is like where I work you can’t access blogs while at work so you may need to print this post off at home. I should probably put a disclaimer so I don't get sued or anything.  These Excel files are not intended to cause harm, but use at your own risk.


4 comments:

  1. I am so excited about this - will you indulge me with a couple of questions?

    Is the number of minutes column a text field, or number field? When I enter a number, it gives me a warning stating that it was entered as text and do I want to convert to a number....

    Secondly, I am getting an error message related to the create a client record. I thought it had to with enabling, but have been unsuccessful finding how to enable on excel 2008 (does it matter that I am using my macbook - provided by the school - mac only)

    Thanks,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again - it's not the enabling feature... I have confirmed that - but that the macros cannot be found by excel.

    I love the evaluation file you also provided and those macros work just fine.

    Any help you can provide would be lovely.
    Thanks,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macro programming was removed in Microsoft Office 2008 for Macs so the Caseload Data Sheet won't work. I have not tested this file on Macs, so I don't know if it would even work with the other versions that have this feature.

      Delete
    2. The only file I currently am sharing with macros is my Caseload Data Sheet. You can tell if a newer Microsoft Office file may contain macros if the extension ends in "m" instead of "x". For example ".xlsm" files can contain macros. The "!" in the file picture and the "Details" view in Windows Explorer of PCs also reveals if the file is macro-enabled.

      Delete